PERMANENT MISSION OF THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
TO THE INTERNATIONAL ATOMIC ENERGY AGENCY
Ambassador Hamad Alkaabi
He has been personally involved in all key milestones of the UAE nuclear energy programme, including:
• A nationwide energy assessment evaluating future UAE requirements and potential sources of electricity;
• The drafting and release of the Policy of the United Arab Emirates on the Evaluation and Potential Development of Peaceful Nuclear Energy;
• National nuclear energy and nuclear liability legislations;
• Bilateral agreements relating to cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy between the UAE and other nations, including US Argentina, Australia, Canada, France, Republic of Korea, Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and Japan;
• Oversight of the development of an independent nuclear safety regulator and the advancement of the UAE nuclear safety regulations, through his role as a Member of the Board of Management of FANR (Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation) since its establishment in 2009.
• Interlocutor of UAE high level participation in Nuclear Security Summits as the Sherpa of UAE in 2010(Washington), 2012 (Seoul) and 2014 (The Hague) summits.
Ambassador Alkaabi was trained as a nuclear engineer, getting his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Purdue University in Indiana (USA) in nuclear engineering. His graduate work focused on nuclear safety
B.S in Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN)
Masters of Science in Nuclear Engineering, Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN)
Home » About us » About the Ambassador
Please use the contact form to send us your inquiries. We will respond to your requests in a timely manner.
Tel: +43 1 715 0028
Fax: +43 1 715 0028 - 5555
Since 2007, the United Arab Emirates began assessing the possibility of developing a peaceful nuclear energy programme. With the decision to develop a nuclear power programme a year later, the country has since made commitments to pursue complete operational transparency and the highest standards of safety, security and non-proliferation.
The UAE’s process and commitments have been lauded as a global model.
Ambassador Alkaabi helped lead the initial assessment of nuclear power in the UAE, and since then serves as a primary interlocutor on matters relating to nuclear energy and non-proliferation between the UAE Government and international organizations and governments, including the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). He is currently the Permanent Representative of the UAE to the IAEA and was named in April 2008, by the UAE Foreign Minister His Highness Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, as the Ministry’s Special Representative for International Nuclear Cooperation.